Sunday, June 8, 2014

Surprised AGAIN!!

 
 
Yesterday was Relay For Life at Mt. Vernon and North Posey.  I had committed to walking the survivor lap at Mt. Vernon and participating in the luminary ceremony at North Posey.  What a long but wonderful day!!  I obviously have never participated in either so both were a first for me.  I have never seen the opening ceremonies or a survivor lap, so I was just following everyone else's lead.  First was the group photo.  Then, we sat in a designated area to watch and listen to the opening ceremony.  As I sat and listened, they began talking about the Courage Award.  I didn't know that existed until yesterday.  I'm sitting there, listening to the nomination letter being read, when it dawns on me that what she is saying is about me.  As soon as I heard, "When I got that phone call in November, 2013..." I knew.  Oh man.  As she continued to read, I began to cry.  I tried my hardest to hold back the tears, but it was pointless.  I couldn't believe it.  Me??  Courage Award???  I just live life, so how is that courageous??  Hard for me to digest.  They called my name and I composed myself enough to walk up and accept.  As I'm walking up I look over and see my entire family standing there.  Oh my.  I had no clue they were there.  Two surprises in one day!!  Thank you Courtney Price!!!  I knew I kept you around for a reason!!!  ;) 

 
 We split the day between Mt. Vernon and North Posey.  I participated in the luminary ceremony at North Posey, which ended up being held in the high school cafeteria because of storms.  It was totally different than what they had planned, but it worked.  And just let me say, I  never ever imagined I would be the one saying, "I relay for me."  Weird.  Just really weird. 
 
The whole Relay experience was surreal this year.  In years past we have participated so that wasn't any different.  What made it surreal was seeing my daughter making a luminary bag that said "In honor of  "MOM."  Seeing my name and picture in the "Survivor" slide show.  Getting in front of the crowd and saying "I relay for me."  And most definitely receiving the Courage Award.  This whole cancer thing still seems like a dream.  Seriously.  It doesn't seem like it is really happening.  But, it must be because if I was just dreaming it all, last night I wouldn't have dreamt that I was walking in a field and found an abandoned baby.  What the heck?????   
 


No comments:

Post a Comment