Sunday, November 24, 2013

Chemo side effects and DINNER WITH FRIENDS!!!!

OK.  So lets get this out of the way quickly so we can get to the good stuff.  Since my first treatment on Thursday I really haven't felt that great.  Could definitely be worse, but could also be lots better.  Being really tired carried over into Friday, and I just felt blah.  A little nausea but nothing to awful.  Just really, really tired.  Saturday the nausea kicked in a little more and I was forced to take some nausea meds.  Blech.  Did.Not.Want.To.Do.That.  But, it is what it is so I took it.  Made me sleep but it helped a lot.  Today I've mostly been tired.  Just really tired.  Who knows what will happen tomorrow, I'm just hoping things are normal.  Now for the good stuff.

Last night I was scheduled to have dinner with my BFF's from High School.  I wasn't sure how I would feel and was kind of worried I wouldn't feel like going.  As soon as my dad picked up my kids I took a quick 15 minute nap and headed out the door.  Boy am I glad I did!!!  We met at Hacienda on 1st Avenue.  I walked in and saw them all sitting there in matching shirts.  Then I realized those shirts had my name on them.  HOLY CRAP.  I was in shock.  I mean, really in shock.  They probably thought I didn't care or notice because I didn't really know what to say.  Moments like that are so humbling and I never know how to respond.  It took our waiter a few tries on about three different phones, but he finally got a decent photo of us.
 
 
What a good time this was.  We talked about our kids, our jobs, why my husbands knee is still whacked (two of these beauties are physical therapists so I figured I would take advantage of the free information).  We laughed.  And that's the best part.  You know, I was thinking about this today.  You know those best friend heart necklaces that you give each other in high school?  I think we all gave each other one of those at one point or another.  You don't realize it at the time, but those friendships you make when you are a teenager will literally last a lifetime.  Even if you don't talk much or see each other much or know much about each other except for what is posted on Facebook, that friendship remains.  After all these years and these girls did this for me.  And want to do more.  I'm so blessed to have chosen these girls as my friends many, many years ago.  I think I'll keep them awhile longer :) 
 
As if that wasn't enough, one of them sent me home with a huge bag of goodies to help me get through chemo.  Along with the mints, hand sanitizer, and lip balm she included some other really great things.  The ladies at her Church (Bluegrass United Methodist) made a prayer shawl that was prayed over by the congregation to help me know that I am being prayed for. 
 
Then there was this awesome devotional.
 
 

Oh, and yesterday another awesome friend dropped in with a huge pot of Taco Soup.  What a good surprise!  Jeremy had dinner last night and I didn't have to cook anything after Reagan's birthday party today.  So that worked out perfect!! 
 
Speaking of Reagan's birthday party...

 
She wanted rainbow cupcakes.  Not my best effort but she liked them so that's all that matters!  And the blowing of the candles, well, I sort of failed to plan for that.  Luckily no one was burned but Jeremy did get a good hand waxing!!  Today was a good day.  Now if I can just stay awake long enough to watch Walking Dead...


No comments:

Post a Comment