Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The day I met my Oncologist

On 11/7 I met with a man who I have never met.  It just so happens that this man will become one of the most important men in my life for the foreseeable future.  He is my Oncologist and his name is Dr. Stephens.  I was so nervous for this appointment.  Seriously.  I thought for sure I was going to puke in the parking lot.  It was that bad.  There had been some concern from my husband, close friends, and family in the days leading up to this appointment.  I was even a little concerned.  Those closest to me wanted me to seek treatment from outside of Evansville.  They wanted me to receive the best treatment available, and all strongly felt that could only happen elsewhere.  I didn't necessarily agree with that, so I wasn't real aggressive in checking into other options.  Finally though, I made the call to my insurance company, and as fate would have it, my insurance would not pay for me to go elsewhere (or at least the two places I wanted to check out).  I was immediately at peace.  I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, and this was no exception.  I already had an appointment scheduled for 11/11 with a Dr. at Oncology/Hematology in Evansville, but didn't want to wait that long.  So I called to see if I could have the appointment moved up, totally not expecting it to happen.  I was told, to my surprise, that there was an opening on Friday with Dr. Stephens, but this wasn't the original Dr. I had an appointment with.  I told the lady that I didn't care who I saw, I just wanted to get in.  So, the appointment was set.  The next day they called me back and said that Dr. Stevens now had an opening on Thursday morning and would that be OK??  Heck yes that's OK!!  And, as I have learned since that time, Dr. Stephens is the best there is around.  I have had two other doctors and numerous other people tell me that.  And after meeting him, I would agree.

We met with Dr. Stephens for about an hour.  He was truly amazing.  He explained everything so well, and was so comforting.  He explained that my previous CT Scan showed enlarged nodes in my neck and chest, the largest of which was in my chest.  He ordered a PET scan to be sure I don't have enlarged nodes anywhere else.  He doesn't think I do, but can't be certain until we get that test result (I had the PET scan on 11/11).  He also ordered a pulmonary function test and echocardiogram (had both of those done yesterday 11/12).  Those tests were ordered because, according to Dr. Stephens, some of the chemo medications can weaken the heart muscles and screw with your lungs.  I'm pretty sure I passed those tests no problem.  He explained that he preliminarily believes that I have Stage II Hodgkins and will be treated with six months of chemo, which will be one treatment every fourteen days.  He explained that everyone reacts different to chemo so he couldn't tell me if I will get sick or not.  He couldn't say whether I will lose my hair or not.  Just have to wait and see.  He did, however say that the prognosis for Hodgkins is really good.  Yay!!!  I have the "good cancer!!!" 

I'm having a port put in on 11/18.  Chemo will start at some point after that.  I'm certain I will find all that out on Friday.  Until then, I will just keep dealing with all this nonsense.  And, it is nonsense because Ain't Nobody Got Time For This!!!!!! 

3 comments:

  1. Love how you pull in all the positive when possible...You are in our families prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah for that good cancer...hang in there okay??? sending all the positive vibes I can to you..good vibes a comin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been praying for you and your family. I know your girls adore you and will hate to see you get sick but as you said everything happens for a reason and God's plan is perfect even if we don't think so. I pray your chemo is nothing for you. I have some friends that go get treatments and then come to work the next day. You got this and rest assured you will be blessed by the community in every way possible.

    ReplyDelete