Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I've Been Ported...And Educated

Yesterday I had my port placed.  That was a different experience for sure.  I was placed under conscious sedation, which means I was awake for the whole thing!!  I thought they were going to put me under, so this was a surprise.  I was given a concoction of Versed and Fentanyl through an IV, then they placed a big blue tarp over me, leaving an opening so I could at least see the wall.  It was the strangest thing...it never hurt, but I could feel tugging and pressure at times.  At one point the doctor was singing along with the music over the speakers.  I took this as a sign all was well.  Once the port was placed and I was sewn up, off to recovery I went.  I was there for about an hour and allowed to go home.  It still doesn't hurt, but if I raise my arm a certain way or turn my head to the left I can feel a tugging sensation.  I'm sure I will get used to that.  The worst part has been the dang itching!!!!  Surely that will stop soon.  If not, I may claw through my skin!!

Today was chemo education day.  What a kick in the rear this was.  You know, going through this whole process to this point has kind of been just that, a process.  Find a lump, tell the doctor, doctor refers to another doctor, that doctor gives antibiotics and refers to another doctor.  Third doctor performs an excisional biopsy and receives diagnosis, then refers to a fourth doctor.  Fourth doctor orders a bunch of tests, then meets with us and explains the final diagnosis and treatment plan.  Until today, it's been all words and information.  Seriously.  Just words and information.  "You have Hodgkins Lymphoma.  This is a form of cancer.  You are going to need chemotherapy.  You might get sick.  You might lose your hair.  You might be really tired."  Well, today it became reality.  The nurse we met with was really great and very informative.  She went through EVERYTHING from how to check in to how to handle mouth sores and fevers.  And losing my hair.  She talked about this a lot and pretty much guaranteed it will happen even though the doctor left it at a maybe.  So surreal looking at a catalog full of wigs and talking about where to go to get great scarves and hats.  I mean, I complain about my hair all the time but I secretly like it now.  It's finally the length and style I've been trying to obtain for years.  She assured me that when it grows back it will probably be better.  Oh, and a positive side to this hair loss thing...I won't have to shave!!!  This possibility had never crossed my mind.  This is a big plus to the whole situation!

After all the hair loss talk was out of the way, things got even more surreal.  We discussed the different chemo medications I will receive and how the whole process will work.  The way I understand it, it will go something like this:  The nurse will access my port then start the IV.  First, saline will be pushed through, followed by a couple different nausea medications.  After that the first of four chemo drugs will be started.  The one medication is bright red, and I was told to not be alarmed but that I will pee red until its all out of my system.  We went through all the possible side effects of each medication and how to best counteract them.  I was pretty much guaranteed food won't taste good and that I will have a metallic taste in my mouth so I should eat with plastic utensils.  And keep lots of mints and lemonheads on hand.  At least I will have an excuse to eat candy!!!  Oh, and the shakes I drink, you know, the Visalus shakes, those are going to be my saving grace.  The nurse and doctor told me so.  They suggested I go buy Boost or something like that, until I told them about Visalus.  They agreed that my shakes were great and I should keep on drinking them.  More good news!!  All in all, the chemo process will take about 3.5 hours.  Not sure how, but I will find a way to pass the time.

I had already decided that I wanted to do my first chemo session on 11/29.  But, of course, they are only open for those needing IV fluids that day.  Since I had no back up plan I kind of panicked for a second.  Not knowing how I am going to react kind of makes this a tough decision.  Long story short, we decided on this Thursday, November 21.  THIS.IS.TWO.DAYS.AWAY.  HOLY CRAP.  I thought I had over a week to get ready for this.  Oh well.  It's probably a good thing.  This way I will know sooner than later how I'm going to react to this toxic mess.  And to think, just a little over a week ago I was super nervous to meet with Dr. Stephens.  This time, meeting with him will be the easy part.  It's kind of amazing how things change so quickly.  I'm nervous, but ready.  Ready to kick cancers ass!!!!

1 comment:

  1. You can do this Michelle! Not sure if there are "restrictions" while you get treatment but hit the library for a good book, books on tape, get Netflix on an iPad or your phone, etc. Great reason to buy an iPad & treat yourself if you don't have one! Interestingly enough, a lot of the breastfeeding Moms in my group used these same tools to pass the time while nursing. God Bless you Michelle! I think about you daily!!

    ReplyDelete