Sunday, December 8, 2013

Chemo Must Go On...Even In The Snow and Ice

Well, my second round of chemo was scheduled for Friday.  Surprisingly it wasn't cancelled.  They did call and ask if I could come in early though.  So we did.  This was what it looked like on our way.
 
 
Pretty crappy drive but we made it.  Good thing I have a professionally trained driver (at least that's what he tells me he is)!  This time they accessed my port for the preliminary blood work.  First time they have done this.  I put Lidocaine over my port an hour before this time.  Man it helped a lot!  Didn't hurt nearly as bad as the first time.  I will be doing that every time for sure. 
 
I met with Dr. Stevens too.  He is so awesome.  He told me that my lung test came back and the results were better than good.  He said they were above the average expected.  He determined the shortness of breath issue isn't the Bleomycin (one of the chemo drugs that can cause lung damage), rather fatigue.  I was happy to hear that.  He also said that my blood work looks great.  My white count has dropped a lot but that is to be expected.  He expects it to drop a little more still.  He felt around for my lymph nodes.  He felt them but said they felt more like bb's this time and were not as big as they originally were!!!  This is good news!!  He said he would be keeping an eye on them.  After seeing him, it was off to chemo. 
 
 
 
As the nurse was hooking everything up, she asked me about the steroids I have to take.  Come to find out, they didn't prescribe me enough last time.  I have to take them at home for four days after chemo.  Not sure if that mattered a whole lot or not, but she was quick to get that fixed for this time.  There wasn't a free lunch this time, so Jeremy went to my favorite fast food restaurant (I know I know.  Totally against everything I stand for.  But, I figured I could allow it just this once :) ) and brought me back some grub. 

 
 
 
I passed the time by starting a book given to me by a friend.  It's actually a pretty good book!  Lots of action right away.  Definitely has kept my interest. 
 
 
 
We got home safely.  I was a little tired but it wasn't too bad.  I put this shirt on in hopes to keep the blah's away!!

 
 
Since my last update I have received more cards.  I received Christmas cards from Reagan's old Daisy Troop and get well cards from students at Harper Elementary.  Those cards are the cutest!  I don't know who any of those kids are at Harper and they don't know me.  But they sure do know how to make me smile!!  And the Daisy Troop cards were pretty awesome as well.  Kids are the best! 
 
I was so happy that I felt pretty good yesterday.  We had the Sheriff's Christmas Party last night and I just wanted to feel good enough to dance.  I love to dance.  And I did just that.  I danced a lot.  We had a great time with some great people.  Today the normal after chemo blah has set in.  Tired. Nausea.  Sore throat (this is a new one).  Chemo just dries everything out.  Skin, nose, mouth, lips.  But, it could still be worse.  And at least this time I know that by the middle of the week I should be feeling fine again. 




1 comment:

  1. Keep going in that James Patterson series! I started reading that series in High School for some reason, and instantly got absolutely HOOKED! I am not a huge fan of reading, at all, but those books keep you so on the edge of your seat, you can't stop! On another note: I admire you so much for opening your life and your journey to "us", and also believe it can be very therapeutic for you as well! You have alot of supporters behind you, and alot of prayer warriors praying for you...that's a huge bonus. Keep your chin up, and know you are in good hands.

    ReplyDelete