Saturday, December 14, 2013

When The Going Gets Tough, Cry And Then Move On


I wish I was starting out with some positive vibes, but I would be totally faking how this last week has been if I did.  True to form, the whole week after chemo was pretty much yuck.  This time was worse than the first time.  Not sure why but it was.  Not just physically but mentally this past week has been very, very hard.  Pretty sure I cried at least once every day.  Part of it was throwing myself a little pity party over the whole situation.  But the biggest mental struggle has been over my hair.  Sounds silly I know.  And maybe it is.  But, when my hair started coming out in small handfuls on Monday, I sort of lost it for a minute.  I was so hoping that I would be one of the lucky ones who didn't lose their hair.  Or at least not enough to notice.  As the week went on more and more and more was coming out in larger amounts.  In the shower, on my hands, on my brush.  So much so that by yesterday morning my brush was full of hair after like five brushes.  Not cool.  So, after much debate over what the heck I'm supposed to do about this issue, I went to Ann's Wig Shop and purchased a wig.  Talk about a weird experience.  It was kind of surreal.  I walked in and didn't know what to do.  Completely clueless.  I tried on three I think.  The first one was the perfect match for my current color and length, only it had bangs.  I don't do bangs.  Can't stand them.  So that one was out.  The next one was a little better but I wasn't feeling it so that was thrown aside.  The last one she showed me I kind of liked right away.  It wasn't totally my style or my color but I liked it.  She styled it a little, showed me how to pull it back or put a clip in it if I wanted.  I stalled forever on making the purchase.  Came up with all kinds of random questions to ask.  I really, really didn't want to buy a wig.  But, I'm pretty certain that after my next treatment that will be all she wrote for the current mess that is left on my head.  So I decided I should purchase one so I at least have it on hand for the moment I decide I need it (that was advice taken from a friend.  Didn't like the advice at all, but it was good advice so I took it).  So, here it is.  This is what I purchased.  Not sure when I'll actually wear it out, but It's ready and waiting to be worn.
 
 
In other news, I have received some pretty amazing things since my last update.  Earlier in the week I received a package in the mail from Pegram Church Of Christ in Pegram, TN.  I don't know who any of these people are, but they sent me cards letting me know they have been praying for me.  Not sure if I have said this before or not but this is such a humbling experience.  I mean, people are amazing.  To take even five minutes out of their busy lives to pray for someone they don't even know and to send a card on top of it kind of leaves me speechless.  Here is just a sample of what I received:
 
 
A few days after that I received this book in the mail:
-
 
This came from my former teacher and mother of my friend Jean.  I haven't spoken to her in years.  I have so many memories from being in her class in high school.  And even more memories of being at her house hanging out with Jean.  Mrs. Phipps has always been pretty cool.  Sending me this book solidified her spot on the cool list!  LOL
 
Many of you already know I am a Visalus promoter.  Amazing company with amazing products.  What you may not realize is that the company also has three absolutely amazing co-founders.  The CEO of Visalus, Ryan Blair, just put out a documentary about his life.  It is an amazing story of a kid who went from living in poverty, being in a gang, almost ending up in prison, to a multi-millionaire entrepreneur.  I posted a link to this on my Facebook page.  You really should watch it.  It is worth the hour of your time.  Very inspiring and will make you look at life in a way maybe you haven't before.  If you can't find the link on my FB page, just click here Nothing To Lose Documentary .   I had the privilege of meeting Ryan back in 2011.  Pretty great guy. 


 
 
That's all I have for now.  I'm actually looking forward to this next week.  I know I will feel good and that makes me excited!  I will leave you with this...
 
"If you take anything with you from this book, take this:  whether adversity if self-imposed, attracted, or swiftly delivered by God himself, know that you are being battle tested, and strengthened for a purpose greater than you can understand.  With each successive hardship comes the endurance to overcome even bigger storms.  God knows what battles I'll have to fight next in life, but I know that I'll be ready."  - Ryan Blair, Nothing To Lose, Everything To Gain
 

 

 

    
   




6 comments:

  1. Michelle I think the wig looks BEAUTIFUL!! I would never guess it wasn't real. But I think you are beautiful enough to pull off bald. Fight on girl!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, The wig looks great! So glad you have been encouraged by so many kind people who are willing to take the time to send note to a stranger. We are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa. Wish we could see you next week! Hopefully soon!

      Delete
  3. Michelle, ditto on the other two messages, I would have never guessed this was a wig. still sending you all my positive vibes your way. Hugs 2 U :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pam. Keep sending me the positive vibes please!

      Delete