Thursday, July 17, 2014

Stem Cell Collection Is Complete!

 
Sorry to keep everyone waiting so long for an update.  I have not even had a minute to sit down and think about anything, let alone type a blog post.  So, to catch everyone up:  Monday I had my central line placed.  Let's talk about this central line for a second.  First of all, it is way bigger and way more annoying than my port ever thought about being.  Second of all, having this thing put in was way worse than having the port placed.  I'll walk you through the whole experience.  I get back into the procedure room, get on the tiny little bed, and lay there for what seemed like an eternity.  They guy that was getting everything ready had me turn my head to the left, covered up half of my face so I couldn't see anything, then walks away.  By the time the doctor came in my neck was already hurting.  So, doc starts doing his thing, gives me a shot in my neck to numb it, moves something around and then I hear him say, "Did you see that?  That was her vein collapsing."  WHAT??  ISN"T THAT KIND OF A BIG DEAL??  Guess not.  He continues on, pulling and pushing.  And by pushing I mean shoving.  It didn't hurt but was probably the most uncomfortable thing I have felt since giving birth.  My whole body tensed up at least three times.  Then, the doctor pulls the camera over me, tells the dude helping him to look at the screen and then I hear him say, "Well, looks like it kinked up on me.  Hmmm.  Go get me the _____ (no clue what he told him to get)".  After some more pulling and shoving he says, "There.  I think it worked itself out."  WHAT???  YOU THINK IT WORKED ITSELF OUT????  Next thing I know he says he is done and that was that. 
Thank goodness that process was over!
 Tuesday was stem cell collection day.  Best way to describe this process is BORING.  Like getting chemo but worse because you can't get up and walk around.  I was attached to the machine that they named WALL-E.  There was no being detached from him, so I was stuck in the bed for about eight hours.  This machine, WALL-E, was a really incredible piece of technology.  The nurse showed us the inside, which contained these super thin tubes that the blood spins around in and is separated into red cells, white cells, and platelets.  The machine is looking for a particular type of stem cell and this cell is filtered into this cylinder looking container.  Once it fills up, the machine slows down and dumps the cells into the bag, then starts up again.  WALL-E knew exactly how much of my blood was a safe amount to collect based on my height and weight.  It amazes me that someone was able to think up this concept.
This is WALL-E. 


Waiting to get started

Just chillin.  Producing stem cells.
The worst part of the stem cell collection process?  The bone pain and fatigue.  The bone pain comes from the Neupogen shots that I had to give myself for five days.  Since the shots stimulate stem cell growth, and stem cells grow in the bone, it creates some significant pain.  I wish I knew how to describe this pain because it is so different than any other pain I have ever had.  All I know to say is that it hurt to walk and hurt to sit and hurt to lay down.  But, it is getting better every day.  So is the fatigue.  Tuesday and yesterday I was wiped out.  Today has been a lot better. 
 
The best part of the stem cell collection process?  I COMPLETED IN ONE DAY!!!!  About two hours into collection my nurse got all excited and told me that they like to see this particular cell count they are looking for to be above 20, and a lot of times they see it at zero.  Well, mine was at 111!!!  So, after 8 hours we waited for about another hour until we received the phone call that I was done with collection!! 
Me and my cells.  I will see them again in two weeks!!
Next Tuesday, the 22nd, I will be admitted to IU Health Hospital for the rest of the process.  I'm ready to do this and not ready to do this at the same time.  I'm ready to get this whole thing behind me, but I don't want to leave my kids.  That's the hardest part, leaving them.  I know everything will work out how it's supposed too.  I will be back home soon enough.  For now, I'm just enjoying these last few days at home as much as I can. 
 
If you didn't see my post on Facebook today, here it is again.  This man, Stuart Scott, describes what it is like to live with cancer perfectly.  I think everyone who is reading this blog should take the 14 minutes to watch this video.  Stuart Scott ESPY speech
 
Oh.  One more thing.  Our BFF's had a baby yesterday!!  And this little guy is just perfect!!
Bryce Thomas Latham.  He is adorable!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment