Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Countdown Has Begun

 
 
Well, today things were finally set in motion.  This last week of waiting has seemed like a month, but now that it's really happening it seems too soon.  I had what I would say was a minor panic attack  this morning after I received the email with my upcoming schedule.  My attention was quickly diverted though by the 30 minute phone call with the specialty pharmacy that I have to order my Neupogen shots from.  Geez.  Over the last two days I have talked to five different people at this place because no one seems to know what's going on.  Finally today someone knew what was up so I was successful in getting the shots ordered.  Hopefully they arrive on my front porch exactly when they are supposed too.
 
Here is how this whole process is scheduled to play out:  this Friday I start the shots (2 per day for five days, seven if needed).  On Monday I have to be at the hospital in Indianapolis for the central line placement.  Tuesday morning they will begin collecting my stem cells.  This should take 1-3 days and will be done on an outpatient basis.  So basically, Tuesday evening they will call me and tell me if they have enough or not.  If they do, we can go home.  If they don't, then we have to stay and go back Wednesday.  And that process repeats itself until they have enough cells.  I am scheduled for admission to the hospital on Tuesday the 22nd.  Chemo will start that evening and will continue all week.  On Monday the 28th my stem cells will be thawed out and put back in my body.  After that, we just wait and see if my cells do what they are supposed to do.  Once my white count is back up to a normal level I can come back home. 
 
Luckily, my visitors do not have to dress like this
 
 Now for the rules.  I can have visitors, but no more than two people at a time can be in my room.  All visitors must wash their hands thoroughly.  Surprisingly visitors don't have to wear face masks or anything like that.  No opened food or drinks can be brought into the room.  Only unopened items in the original packages from the store can be brought in.  I will have a mini-fridge in my room so I can bring in food/snacks so long as they are brand new.  And Jeremy can bring in Dr. Pepper's as well (This is a must.  The hospital doesn't have Dr. Pepper!!!).  I can't have any flowers/plants/stuffed animals in my room.  If someone sends any of those things they won't let me have them.  I can, however, have books, magazines, and newspapers.  I find it weird that those don't have to be new.  I can take a laptop/IPad, I can have my phone.  They told me that they have Boost and Ensure for me to drink since I probably won't want to eat.  I said, "I have my own shake mix, can't I just use that?"  The answer was yes as long as it is in a brand new unopened bag.  Yay for that!!!  Why on Earth would I want to drink Boost or Ensure when I already have something way better?!?!?
 
Now that I know when this is happening, we have to make a schedule of who, what, when, and where for the girls.  This is not going to be an easy task!!  It's one of those things (like Christmas shopping or packing for vacation) that shuts my brain down.  Too much to think about so I just develop a mental block.  But, it must be done.  And lists.  I need to make some lists.  It's so overwhelming, but I will get it done.  I always do. 
 
Now for some amusement.  I have been told some pretty whacky stuff lately at work by my probationers.  Bless their hearts.  So tonight, I will give you a sneak peak of what I deal with.  And, remember, this is just a small, small bit of what really happens on a daily basis.
 
Me:  When was the last time you smoked weed?
Probationer:  Years ago
Me:  That's interesting because this test is clearly showing positive for weed.
Probationer:  (In a very snarky tone) Everybody has a little bit of weed in their system.
 
 
My phone rings.  I answer it. 
Me:  Hello
Probationer:  Yeah, this is ______ and I have an appointment with you tomorrow and I need to change that if I could.
Me:  Why?
Probationer:  Cause I got into a little altercation last night and I was stabbed and I had to get 21 stitches.
Me:  WHAT??  DID YOU JUST SAY YOU WERE STABBED?
Probationer:  Yes.  I got stitches in my hand, arm, and buttocks.
Me:  Who stabbed you?
Probationer:  I don't know.   
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment