Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Stem Cell Transplant Day 2



Remember last night for dinner I ordered a cheeseburger and fries, right?  And I didn't think they could screw that up?  Well, I wouldn't say they screwed it up as much as they just didn't bring it too me for TWO HOURS.  That's right.  Ordered at 6, received it a little after 8.  Everything was cold.  Couldn't get the bun off the burger because it was literally stuck to the meat.  I ate most of it anyway.  At this point who cares.  Food is food whether it's good or not!  So, this morning for breakfast I made a coffee Vi-Shake.  Delicious.  I have two nurses wanting samples now.  It's that good.  Anyway, about that time the "Classic Cuisine" room service dude walks in to get my breakfast order.  I tell him I already had a shake and that I might just starve to death waiting on him to bring me breakfast, and that even if he did it wouldn't be edible.  He was like, "Huh?"  I said listen, here is what is up with my food lately, and I told him what had happened.  He smiled at me then said, "Well, because I like you I will personally make sure your breakfast is brought to you quickly and that it is warm and edible.  But just for you."  Then he winks and smiles.  I told him he was on the clock and the timer started now.  He smiled and out the door he went.  Twenty minutes later as I'm walking the halls here comes my food guy, carrying my breakfast.  And it was warm and edible as promised! I was happy about that!
 
Last nights chemo was awful.  Just awful.  I have honestly never felt that way ever before.  This particular drug causes immediate side effects such as headache, jaw pain, and other things such as restless leg and I unfortunately suffered from all three pretty quickly.  The headache was what I would call a migraine, temples pounding.  The jaw pain felt like I couldn't open my mouth if I wanted too.  My ankles would not. stop. moving.  At all.  Nothing I could do about it.  They gave me morphine right away.  I had never had morphine before and really didn't want any but that's what the doctor had ordered so that's what I got.  I did learn something though.  I learned that I will never let anyone give me morphine ever again.  It made everything 50 times worse.  I honestly believed my head was going to explode.  I almost passed out and threw up on my way back from the bathroom.  I really thought I was going to hit the floor.  They put my bed alarm on after that.  Just in case.  Finally at 2:30 this morning they gave me Dilaudid and that did the trick.  Thank God!  I told Jeremy I wasn't sure I could do that much longer.  It was the most awful thing ever. 
The pills I have to take everyday before chemo on the left. 
The picture on the right is of the chemo that made me
feel so incredibly awful last night.  Notice it is covered
in a red bag.  That should have been a clue.  The second clue should
be when the nurse puts on a face mask, gloves, and two cover jackets so that
she can still have kids one day.  That's exactly why she told me they do it.  Just
touching this stuff evidently messes you up.  So there's that.
This morning at 10am I started chemo.  Two different drugs today, one of them I receive twice.  My last treatment for the night will begin at 11pm.  Strange time I think but they said they have to be 12 hours apart.  I have felt pretty good today, just a little tired.  I have walked the halls several times today.  It gets boring being in this room all day! 

My meals were much better today.  As you read above breakfast was timely.  Jeremy brought me some bagel bites for lunch.  And, at the advice of my nurse, I pre-ordered my dinner and told them I wanted it at 6.  It arrived at 5:45 and was actually pretty good.  At least that is improving!!

Tomorrow hopefully I will get into a permanent room.  This one isn't so bad, but it doesn't have a shower!!  They tell me they have someone being discharged tomorrow, so after that room is cleaned I can move in to that one.  Something to look forward too.  Otherwise, tomorrow should be a repeat of today.  Three chemo treatments, lots of pills, and hopefully good food.  Three chemo treatments down, eleven to go!
 
My toilet.  Has to be covered with this blue blanket
so that when my nurses flush it they don't get
my toxins.  That's so comforting. 
 

3 comments:

  1. Glad the food seems to be figured out a little bit!! Hope you get moved into a new room soon and can finally get a shower! You are either really stinky or have been getting sponge baths, which may not be all that bad. :-)
    I cannot even almost comprehend the pain of what you are going through but you have amazed me throughout the whole process. I think of you often and pray for you as you battle Hodgkins.
    p.s. The boys are looking forward to seeing Em and Reagan next week!

    ReplyDelete