Monday, April 14, 2014

Treatment 11, DONE!! One More To Go!!!!





Man, I'm getting so close.  One more treatment.  Unless you have been through chemo before I don't think I can explain in a way that you would understand how ready I am to be done.  Friday I had treatment 11 of 12 and was blessed to have my great friend Kristy with me.  We laughed a lot.  And talked a lot.  And she learned alot, if she wanted to or not!!  The nurse was explaining how hard they hit Lymphoma patients and she totally nailed it.  She described it as getting knocked down, then coming back up to about 80% of where you started, then getting knocked down again every other week until by the time the patient is finished with treatment they are only bouncing back to probably 50% or less than where they started.  And she explained how chemo kills all the fastest growing cells, including in the digestive system.  Which is why the nausea and reflux and all that other great digestive stuff happens, and why food doesn't taste good (except for salsa.  That tastes good to me.  And vinegar.  Weird but true).  


Treatment 11 started out with a minor mishap.  On days that I see Dr. Stephens the nurse that calls me back sets up my port and draws blood from it.  Has always worked like a charm.  Except this time.  I forgot to put my numbing cream on again, so it hurt like crap when she stuck my port.  Then, she couldn't get any blood to come out...said I must have a blood clot in my chest.  I'm thinking well that can't be good.  So she doubled the normal dose of Heparin to try and thin out the suspected clot.  Nothing.  So, eventually, she gave up and just drew blood from my arm.  She asked if that was OK and I said, "Sure.  What's another needle poke.  I've been stuck with so many needles at this point I don't even care anymore."  So, that's how that went.  When I saw Dr. Stephens he said that the problem was more than likely not a clot, rather a port issue.  He said that by the end of treatment alot of times tissue starts to grow over the port, causing problems getting anything out but doesn't cause any issues with getting treatment in.  That made me feel better.  I was thinking CRAP!!!  A blood clot in my chest?!?!?  Dr. Stephens always makes me feel better.  He knows how horrible chemo makes me feel and he apologizes to me for having to send me back to the chemo room everytime.  But this was the last time he has too!!!  I won't see him next time, so the next time I see him I will be getting PET scan results.  Which, by the way, is set for May 23.  I'm anxious and excited for that day all at the same time.  He said I will schedule the port removal surgery after that.

Speaking of getting back to normal, I've been thinking more and more and more about starting my next 90 day challenge, my fitness and meal plans.  I wish I could start now!!!  I'm thinking by mid-May I will be back at it.  Dr. Stephens said that it will take a little time to feel back to my old self, but has no reason to believe that by the end of July I won't be feeling wonderful again.  I have said it several times before but I can't wait to get back into my workout routine.  I'm so jealous of my brother, sister-in-law, and a few good friends who get to work out whenever they want.  I would give almost anything to be able to do what they are doing.  They need to be put on notice though:  guys, get out your pen and paper and get ready to take notes.  Because when I'm back, you will wish you had!!!!  Hahaha.  I'm only kind of kidding!!!
Soon, very soon I will be back to taking workout selfies!!!  I know you all just can't wait!!


Oh.  One more thing before I end this post.  I am so over wearing things on my head.  It's getting warm outside, and my head doesn't like being hot.  Today, I was so so close to just letting everyone bask in my baldness.  Had we not had Court I probably would have.  The only thing holding me back is freaking everyone out.  You know, it's not everyday you see a bald girl walking around.  But really, I get awkward stares everywhere I go anyway.  So what's the difference?  And I think I have been without hair so long now that I have finally accepted that it's who I am and if you don't like the way I look then turn your damn head.  I don't think I am going to shave it anymore, just let it start growing.  With only one more treatment it isn't going to grow long enough to start falling out again before I'm done.  So, one day soon I'm just going to leave my house as I am.  Maybe not tomorrow though, since it's supposed to maybe snow again?  What??? If they are calling for snow that means cold which means my head will thank me for covering it.  We shall see I guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment