Saturday, January 18, 2014

Chemo #5

 

My friend Courtney sent me this tonight.  Just to let me know she was thinking of me. 
 
What a week this has been.  I had no idea my last blog post, that I wasn't even sure I should post, would receive such a massive response.  But, my friends never cease to amaze me.  The phone calls, texts, Facebook messages, cards, candy, flowers, gifts, etc...  If you follow my Facebook you have already seen these, but they are too beautiful to not repost!!
 

 
Melodie, Ashley, and Kristy thank you so much!!!
 
Everything each one of you did for me definitely helped make what has probably been by far one of the worst weeks of my life better.  And for that I am so grateful.  I can't even begin to tell you how much your effort to reach out to me in so many different ways means to me.  Just know that I wish I could do something to repay every single one of you.  I just don't know how, other than to say thank you from the bottom of my heart. 
 
So I get to work yesterday and my office partner Jason comes out of the bathroom wearing one of the Fight Like a Girl Shirts with my name on the back.  I thought that was pretty neat.  Then, he tells me I need to go visit the girls in the Clerk's office.  Ok.  So, I walk across the hall and see that they are ALL wearing the same shirt!!!  I was caught way off guard!  Again I wasn't sure what to say.  That seems to happen a lot lately.  This was so humbling for me to have all these people walking around the Courthouse with my shirt on.  It still seems surreal.  Like, it just won't register in my brain that all this stuff is to support me.  Maybe there is just a portion of my brain that is blocking it all out because it doesn't want to accept what is going on.  Kind of like the part of my brain that has blocked positive thoughts.  All I know for sure is that I have some of the most amazing people in the world in my life.  No doubt about it.
 
Yesterday was Chemo Friday #5.  I was so dreading it as you know.  To make a crappy week even crappier, I forgot to put my numbing cream on before I left!!!  I was freaking out.  I was dreading the port stick like crazy because I remember how bad it hurt the very first time.  But, as luck would have it, it didn't hurt that bad.  I worried for nothing.  So that was good.  After my port was all set, the nurse loaded me up with my normal goods.  
 
 
And I was really, really excited about it.
 
She had just given me Ativan before I took this.  Can you tell???
 
My step-sister Melodie drove in from Nashville just to go with me.  I love her so much.  She went and got me Chic-Fil-A (of course).  Then we just talked for three hours.  It was really nice to do that.  We don't ever get to be together enough.  I think we could have talked for three more!  I'm sure I didn't make much sense most of the time (because of the Ativan) but she didn't seem to mind.  We did find time to look at some of her wedding pictures too.  So that was fun.
Isn't she beautiful??

Sisters
 
She took me home, cooked us dinner, then took the girls back to my dads with her for a slumber party.  I fell asleep on the couch.  I was toast. 
 
Today I coached Reagan's last basketball game at halftime of the high school girls JV game.  They did so good!!  They have learned a lot and I'm so proud of them.  And I just love coaching.  I was so tired this morning but I wasn't going to miss that for anything! 
 
Tonight we surprised the girls with a trip to Gatti Town for getting all A's on their report cards.  They were surprised and had a great time.  We walked in and I immediately questioned my decision.  I was thinking "You moron.  Why would you go to one of the most germ infested places around the day after chemo?"  But it was too late to change my mind as we were already inside.  So, I just hit up every hand sanitizer station I saw.  Hopefully that does the trick and I don't end up sick. 
 
This next week is going to be so busy with basketball games, basketball practice, and pitching lessons.  And I'm going to try very hard to get those positive thoughts back.  Not sure it will happen during hell week, but I'm still going to keep working on fixing that breaker. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 


1 comment:

  1. Michell, I am Stephen Marx's cousin. I have been following your blog thru Mandy and wanted to let you know what an inspiration you are. Thank You for posting your blog and sharing your experience with everyone. It is wonderful that you have such a strong support group that can help and loves you. I know you don't know me(really I'm not a crazy woman), but I wanted to let you know that if you need a ride for anything please have Mandy call me. Oh yes, I will buy Chick-fil-a for lunch. Sending prayers for you and your family.

    Jean Bittner

    ReplyDelete